Saturday, June 23, 2007

Paper Dolls

There are some paper dolls sitting here on the desk. Mom printed them up. It's a sweet little girl - late 19th early 20th century looking - with little traditional European dresses. I think Mom and I should color them and have a tea party.

Friday was good - Sacrament meeting about the Sacrament - and I realized something. At the institution of the Sacrament, all of the Gospels have Jesus saying words to the effect of "Take, eat. This is my body." (Italics added) In only one of the gospels, Luke 22:19, he says that the breaking of the bread is to be done in remembrance of him. Three ideas came to mind.



First, thank heavens for the Book of Mormon clarifying that the Sacrament is done in remembrance of the sacrifice, and that transubstantiation is false. In 3 Nephi 18:7 Jesus says clearly, as he does in the one gospel, that the breaking and blessing of the bread is done in "remembrance of [his] body, which [he has] shown unto [the Lamanites and Nephites.]"

But the second thing that hit me is that Jesus is telling us to remember he has a body. It's so painfully obvious that it's hard to explain. We're so used to skipping over the words and going straight for the "doctrinal" stuff that the obvious is missed.

He had a body. And blood. God had a body, with red blood in it.

And more than that - he has a body. We wants us to remember not only the mortal incarnation, but the immortal. Again, the Book of Mormon clarifies this because Jesus says that the Sacrament is to be done in remembrance of the body that he showed to the Nephites and Lamanites, which is his resurrected body. God wants us to remember that he is physical.

The third thing I noticed was that in all of the headings to the LDS edition of the scriptures, the reference to the Lord's instigation of the sacrament is that he "instituted" it. Of course, one man wrote all of those headings (was it B.R. McKonkie? I can't spell his name, and right now I'm a bit bitter at him, so I don't care) so of course there's going to be uniformity in his references to the same act. But it's an interesting word - it implies corporate organization, like an institute. So, at least in all-knowing Brucy's mind, the appropriate administration of the Sacrament implies, nay, requires and organized religion.

Well, that was just deepish. And has nothing to do with paper dolls.
BTW - check out this article on the Mountain Medows Massacre. There's a movie coming out about it, which seems is trying to make Mormons looks bad. Dude, if there's going to any sort of reparations towards descendants of victims, I want my family's land back in Missouri and Illinois! And I want reparations for the psychological harm done to me knowing that, until recently, I could have legally been killed in Missouri just because of my religious beliefs.

No comments: