Monday, February 27, 2006

Incentives

Came into work today knowing that I would have to work on a case that is annoying me for two reasons: (1) it's a family fighting after their father died and (2) my client is behind in her payments to me.  The red message light on the phone quietly pulses and I know its my client and I know I don't want to hear it.  So I'm scared into working studiously, if not frantically, on the issue.  A miracle is what is needed.  And I am loathe to be the person responsible for it right now.  Particularly loathe because it doesn't matter what I do, if this family wants to fight, they're going to fight.  I just can't solve the problem, because the problem isn't legal. 
 
Then, the client calls.  I hate it, but I have to answer - and it turns out that a family member who is responsible to pay the mortuary/cemetery hasn't (it's been a year), and the mortuary is threatening to move the headstone.  The emotional impact of a broken headstone becomes motivation far beyond money.
 
Incentives make all the difference.


No comments: