Wednesday, February 01, 2006

Breakthrough!


Been working on a memo concerning attorneys' fees. Seeing what other attorneys charge and the services for which they charge gives me a new perspective on my work. Combine that with becoming accustomed to the idea of getting paid for thinking, and I've reached a breakthrough in my attitude---I don't have a problem charging people for my work now. Clients expect to pay. I tell them up front what they will be paying. My work is worth that--as long as I make it so. It's fair and right. I'm not afraid of or guilt-ridden by charging my fee. This is extremely good news for my finances - as well as for the partners in the firm. It is a freeing feeling. And I think I arrived at this place with little or no damage to my priority or integrity. I think. But still.... I am not immune



Turning and turning in the widening gyre
The falcon cannot hear the falconer;
Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all convictions, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.

Surely some revelation is at hand;
Surely the Second Coming is at hand.
The Second Coming! Hardly are those words out
When a vast image out of Spiritus Mundi
Troubles my sight: somewhere in sands of the desert
A shape with lion body and the head of a man,
A gaze blank and pitiless as the sun,
Is moving its slow thighs, while all about it
Reel shadows of the indignant desert birds.
The darkness drops again; but now I know
That twenty centuries of stony sleep
Were vexed to nightmare by a rocking cradle,
And what rough beast, its hour come round at last,
Slouches towards Bethlehem to be born?

The Second Coming, W.B. Yeats

However, my illustration of the negative possibilities (the picture at the beginning of the post) doesn't spiral out of control---it spirals in to the center.

Also, there's an interesting Freudian slip I made at the beginning which I corrected; instead of typing "Been working," I typed "Been worming." Wonder if that's what I really think of what I do? Possible---I sift through mounds of muck, process and digest it until somthing comes out the other end. Perhaps my motto from the costume shop applies here just as well: just pushin' the crap around.

No comments: