Friday, December 02, 2005

Yesterday, and Last Week

So I was dreading Thanksgiving with my father's family. Turns out that I didn't get one jab about being single - at least no jabs that I felt. There was something much bigger going on. My Grandpa was "promoted to glory." He died. the day after Thanksgiving. The days before Thanksgiving, we kind of knew that he would leave soon, and my dad and his siblings spent most of Thanksgiving at the hospital with him. Hospice care. The pain killers helped to finally relax. He had suffered from Parkinsons for many years, and without the pain killers his body was just so tense and uncomfortable. If he was conscious, he would act out, tear out any tubes stuck into his body. The hard things was that it seemed that his actions were purposeful. I can't remember all the details, so I won't put in any. But from what we could gather, Grandpa was acting in ways that he thought would lead to his death. So with the Power of Attorney that he had created earlier, the family made the decision to put him in hospice care.

It was a sacred experience.

I've learned a bit more from this passing, but I've written it in my hard copy journal, and don't want to repeat it here and now.

No comments: